Word of the Week (226): PLOUTER (probability 5127), by David Sutton

To PLOUTER is to work or play about in water or mud. It has variants PLOWTER and PLOTTER (so if you think PLOTTER just means someone who plots, remember it can also be a verb).

There are many other words for dabbling or splashing about in water, or generally making wet. You can BEDABBLE, BEDEW, BEDRENCH, BEDROP, BEDUCK and BEWET. Scots offers us JAUP, JIRBLE and JABBLE, and also DROOK or DROUK: as well as the regular past tenses DROOKED and DROUKED these have past forms DROOKET and DROUKIT.

SPARGE and SPAIRGE mean to sprinkle.

FLOUSE, FLOUSH, SWATTER and SKET are dialect words for to splash. More formal is EMBRUE or IMBRUE, while MADEFY is an archaic word for to moisten. Finally we have the onomatopoeic SPLATCH, SPLOTCH, SPLODGE, SPLISH, SPLOSH and SPLOOSH.

And if things aren't wet enough after that lot, you can REWET, RESOAK or REMOISTEN, or to get ahead of the game you can PRESOAK.


© WESPA | Committees | Join WESPA | Contact Us | Credits